Thursday 14 May 2009

Microsoft Data Visualization Components on Windows 7

this post has moved to http://www.scottleckie.com/2009/05/microsoft-data-visualization-components-on-windows-7/

I’ve been playing around with the Data Visualization Components recently (looking to incorporate the TreeMap control with a SequioaView-a-like disk space analyser) but ran into problems getting the toolkit installed on Windows 7 RC1. Running the setup from the official page at http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/dda33e92-f0e8-4961-baaa-98160a006c27/default.aspx gets stuck looking for .Net Framework 1.1.4322;
image
Of course, being Windows 7, .Net 3.5 is already installed which should include .Net 1.1 but it looks like the Components installer is hopelessly confused. I couldn’t get the installer to believe we had something better than 1.1 already installed and I didn’t want to try and hack .Net 1.1 on top of Windows 7.
So, all I really needed were the “bunch of files” that come in the Component setup so I installed the package on an XP machine and copied them across to a folder on Windows 7, then referenced the DLL by hand.
I doubt there’s any .Net developers out there, running the RC of Windows 7, who doesn’t have a spare XP machine lying around too(!) but, just in case there is, I’ve placed the Zip here for your convenience. The licence states that it’s OK to distribute for non-commercial use and doesn’t say it needs to be in the original MSI format, so I don’t see a legal problem with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment